Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Make Your Own Door Wreath

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I needed a new front door wreath this spring. The old one was dirty and the silk flowers were falling apart. I believe it was about 10 years old so it really was time for a new one!

I did not purchase a new one, I made it. Best of all it only cost $6.00.  All my supplies came from the craft section of a big box store. Updating or making your own wreath is quite simple, it took me no more than 30 minutes and didn't cost a lot of money. What not to like in that?

Here is how I did it.

Start with the old wreath. It is time to remove the old decorations. If you are making a brand new one, get a base that is heavy duty. Even better than purchasing it, take a walk in the woods and gather your own materials! I have a grape vine as the base of my wreath. It is about 20 years old, and still in good shape. The glue holding the old decorations was quite easy to pull off. However, if you can't pull them off with your fingers, try using a razor blade. In this picture I am almost done removing all the old stuff.

When the wreath is clean, gather up your new supplies. I bought one 'bouquet' of flowers for $5.00 and ribbon for $1.00. The old stuff is in a pile at the top of the picture. Also needed but not shown: a pair of wire cutters.

Cut each individual flower off of the 'stem'. You will place the flowers (and leaves) individually on the wreath so each must be separate from all the others.

This is where your individual creativity comes into play! I started by gathering some flowers and playing with their placement until I liked what I saw. It isn't hard. The goal is to make it pleasing to you. It really doesn't matter what other people think! If you can't come up with a design you like, drive down your street and see what everyone else has! Or, go to a craft store and look at some of the wreaths they have for sale. Looking at those wreaths should give you plenty of ideas on what to do with yours.

Here is the start of mine. I usually stop after I place a few flowers and leaves and glue them down. Now, a floral designer might say that I am placing the flowers too close together. I accept that criticism, but it isn't their wreath.

Here is the final product!

When I was making the ribbons, I thought they were super cute! Originally, I wanted a few 'full' bows. But since the ribbon only cost $1.00, there wasn't a lot of it. I was quite please with myself on on how I solved that problem until I hung it on the door. Then I looked at it and said "yuck!" 

My first impulse was to go back to the store and get more ribbon so I could make some new 'full' bows like I originally wanted. Instead, I decided to wait. If I really hate it, I can go back to the store later to get more ribbon. 

Well, over the past few days the look of the bows is growing on me. I still may replace them later, but for now this is the new look of my front door! 

It was easy and frugal to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To help eliminate spam on this blog, your comment will be moderated.